A taste of favorite local Cambodian food during chef Luke Nguyen’s culinary trail across Siem Riep.
This food documentary features a traditional dessert my family loves making at home because of the unique texture and natural sweetness of the sugar palm fruit. It doesn’t compare to any other fruit. -Cat
Preparation: 5 mins
Cooking: 15 mins
- 1 cup glutinous rice soaked (1hr) and strained
- ½ cup white tapioca pearl/sago soaked (10 mins) and strained
- 1 tin palm fruit (200 g), drained and sliced 1 cm thick
- 1 cup coconut milk/cream
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup palm sugar
- 2 cup water
- Add water to a medium size pot and bring to boil.
- Add rice and cook for 15 mins over medium heat.
- Add palm fruit, sugar, salt and half of the coconut. Stir gently over low heat and let it simmer until the rice softens.
- Add sago and stir gently until the sago becomes translucent.
- Turn off heat and let it rest for 15 mins.
- Using a ladle, pour into individual bowls. Finish with 1 tbsp of remaining coconut cream on the top in each bowls.
- Serve warm.
- If left over, keep refrigerated for up to 2 days and reheat in pot.