Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 15 mins
- 1/2 kg whole white meat fish cleaned and cut into chunks
- 1 stalk lemongrass beaten
- 1 slice fresh or frozen galangal
- ½ fresh pineapple diced
- 1 stalk celery cut into bite size (optional)
- 2 tomatoes sliced in quarters
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp or powder
- 6 cups water
- 3 tbsp raw sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 fresh bird eye chili sliced thinly
- 1 cup of mix herbs chopped finely: saw leaf herb, rice paddy herb and coriander
- In a large soup pot, fry the garlic until golden brown in vegetable oil. Remove garlic from the pot and set aside.
- Add water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add lemongrass, galangal and fish. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add pineapple and celery. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tamarind, sugar, fish sauce and salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve soup in individual soup bowls and garnish with fried garlic, pinch of mixed herbs and chili.
- Serve with steamed rice.
- Substitute fish with chicken or pork ribs.
- Substitute pineapple (and celery) with fresh lotus shoots if using chicken.