Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
- ½ kg beef sirloin or beef chuck ribs sliced or cut into bite size
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen lemongrass finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste or fresh pulp
- 1 tbsp fermented fish paste (prahok)
- 1 bunch morning glory (water spinach) cut 2 inches length
- 3 birds eye red chili (optional)
- In a large heated pot add the oil, garlic and lemongrass. Stir consistently for 3 mins until fragrant.
- Add the beef, salt and sugar.
- Add water, kaffir lime and curry leaves.
- Season with fish sauce, tamarind and prhaok.
- Bring to a slow boil cooking for 10 mins.
- Add morning glory. Cook for 3 mins.
- Remove and dispose the kaffir lime and curry leaves and turn off the stove.
- Using a ladle, pour into a small individual bowl and garnish with chili.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Keep left over in fridge for up to 2 days.