Preparation time: 40 mins
- 12 sheets of dried rice paper
- 1 handful (2cm diameter) of thin rice noodles boiled and drained
- 1 cup sweet and sour peanut dipping sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce combined with sweet and sour peanut dipping sauce
- ½ cup boiled glutenous rice combined with sweet and sour peanut dipping sauce (optional)
- ¼ lime combined with sweet and sour peanut dipping sauce (optional for added tang)
- 200g pork belly (or chicken thighs/prawns) boiled and sliced finely
- ¼ cup of ground roasted white rice combined with sliced meat
- 6 leaves butter or green leaf lettuce washed, dried and cut in half
- 1 cucumber sliced in 6 quarters lenghtwise
- 2-3 variety of fresh herbs: vietnamese mint, spearmint, fishworth leaves or sweet basil
- 1 carrot grated finely (optional for texture and color)
- 6 sprigs fresh coriander
- 6 sprigs chives (or garlic chives)
- Soak for 2 seconds a sheet of rice paper in hot water (placed in a shallow pan) and lay it on a plate or clean chopping board. The rice paper will continue to soften as it rests while beginning to place the filling.
- Place horizontally one of each of the vegetables filling on the bottom third of the rice paper. Lay a small strand of rice noodles on the top of the vegetables and finish with the meat filling.
- Fold in the bottom edge then fold in the two bottom sides rolling up tightly to form the spring roll.
- Repeat the same process (steps 1 to 3) until all the fillings are used. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
- Rice paper rolls keeps well in damp paper towels and plastic wrap but should ideally be served within 2 hours